Thursday, October 8, 2009

So hot!

It is so hot...
I haven't posted in a few days.  I had intended on posting on Tuesday evening after going to visit The Holy Land Experience here in Orlando.  It was a great drive on the way there and we made good time. Orlando is about 90 minutes away from our home.  When we arrived at the exit to turn into the park, we hit bumper to bumper traffic.  It took us 45 minutes to park.  I think the turnout was more than they expected!  It was a very hot day, the high was 93F on Tuesday, but regardless, my daughter and I waited in line to get 2 free tickets to come again.  Romans 8:28 is a verse my daughter is learning in school right now, and it appropriately fit for this occasion to teach its meaning.  We were unable to get in that day, but now we can come back again with dad on a Saturday.  We have all month to go again, so the story will continue when we are able to go in.

It has been extremely hot in our area, hitting record high heat.  It makes it very difficult to believe it is actually October.  We are praying that cooler weather will come its way down here.  Lord send it on down!!

Our park group still met on Wednesday, in spite of the record high heat.  Most of us were melting and needed to escape to air conditioning and did not stay as long as usual.  Speaking of our park day, this is an idea for anyone new to home schooling, or trying to find a way to connect with other families.  A couple of years ago, we organized a group that meets once a week on Wednesdays.  This is a way for the children to play and parents to talk.  It also can be a venue for crafts and holiday parties.  Search for local home school groups in your area and set up a park day, it has been a blessing for my daughter, an only child right now.  We are also going to implement "Show and Tell" in our park time.  We are planning on splitting up the group a couple of days a month to speak on a favorite item from home, or share a story.  It is a great way to teach public speaking.  If you are looking for a local group here are some web-sites: 

http://www.home-school.com/groups/
http://localhs.com/
http://www.hslda.org/orgs/default.asp

On Wednesday we also discussed shopping savings. This is a topic I have ventured into once before, but was overwhelmed.  Lately I have been hearing tremendous stories on the amount of money being saved through the combination of using coupons, buy 1 get 1 free deals, grocery store savings, etc.  I have so much to learn, but I think I'm going to give a try tonight.  I would love to share what I have learned and the best way is to pass along these web-sites:
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/
http://www.southernsavers.com/category/extreme-couponer-101/

Well, I'm off to eat something...been a busy day cleaning and working with my daughter today.  Tonight is my shopping night to try out the coupons.  I'll be visiting 3 stores tonight...hope it all works out!! Blessings!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment