Saturday, October 3, 2009

The issue of Socialization and Home Schooling

Some thoughts on Socialization...
I think for myself it is probably the most asked question.  I know many of you who home school, or who have talked to someone who does home school has asked or been asked this question.  "What about socialization?"
I think the impression by most is that home schoolers are home alone all day with no contact to the outside world. From an article I recently read by Beverly Hernandez, there are two words that have two different meanings: Socialization and Social Life. 

I like this definition:  "Socialization is knowing how to act appropriately in various situations and is best taught by adults who care about the child."

Wow!   Imagine, parents being the ones who teach their children as opposed to...well, strangers.  This definition means that it applies to children whether they are home schooled or not.  

The Social Life, not to be confused with Socialization, is determined by the parents and/or caregivers.  

In a home schooling environment, the parents are with the children MOST if not ALL of the time.  This constant guidance allows the teaching of social behavior in different settings.  Children learn through observation of those around them and the good examples set before them.


I cannot imagine the types of situations my daughter would be getting into on the playground.  While there are many times I allow for her to figure things out on her own, at this time in her life, she needs the proper direction to react to other children in respect and love.  I have A LOT of work to do in this area. I am so glad and thankful for the good friends whom we meet at the park who have the patience and understanding necessary.  I think I can safely say we are all on the same mission of teaching our children decent social skills.


This question used to be a difficult one to overcome.  It helps me in understanding these definitions.  Perhaps next time some one asks, proudly give the proper definition of Socialization, because you are giving your children the best you can give! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment